Flea & Tick Season
Our wonderfully warm climate here in Hawaii has one major drawback: flea and tick season is year round. As a responsible pet owner, it’s your job to prevent these parasites from bothering your dog or cat. Whether you think your pet has fleas or ticks, or you want an effective prevention program, visit The Honolulu Pet Clinic for the best flea and tick control services in Hawaii.
Importance of Flea & Tick Control
Parasites don’t just make your pet itch – they also transmit Lyme disease, bacterial infections, and malaria-like diseases. They can irritate your pet’s skin and cause infections. Fleas and ticks also consume a lot of your pet’s blood, which can cause anemia or other complications that could put the animal’s life at risk.
Flea & Tick Prevention
The best way to stop a flea and tick infestation is to put your dog or cat on year-round preventive medication. Many brands and styles are available in both over-the-counter and prescription varieties. Monthly topical treatments are among the most popular flea and tick prevention methods. If you’re not sure what will work best for your pet or what dosage you should use, our experienced veterinarian can help.
Along with medication, you can also prevent exposure to fleas and ticks with these tips:
- Keep your pet indoors when possible.
- Don’t let your pet wander through tall grass in wooded areas.
- Mow your lawn regularly and remove tall weeds.
- Keep your property free of organic debris, including dead leaves, pine needles, and grass clippings.
- Examine your pet for fleas and ticks regularly, especially after spending time outside.
- Brush your pet with a flea comb.
- Wash the animal’s bedding once a week.
Flea & Tick Treatment
If your pet becomes infested with fleas, it’s vital to treat all the animals living with you, including indoor cats, along with your entire house. Make sure to only use dog products on dogs and cat products on cats.
Treatments may include:
- Shampoos, sprays, and powders
- Oral medication
- Thorough house cleaning, which may require evacuating the house before using a spray or fogger
- Lawn treatment if you determine your pets were infested by fleas and ticks living on your property
For help removing ticks from your pet’s body without potentially transmitting an infection to you or your pet, please visit The Honolulu Pet Clinic.
Contact Our Veterinary Hospital in Honolulu for Flea & Tick Control
Don’t wait until your furry friend is infested with fleas or ticks to bring the animal to our veterinary hospital. We can suggest preventive medication and offer other tips to keep parasites at bay. Of course, if your pet is already suffering from an existing infestation, we can help with that, too!
Contact The Honolulu Pet Clinic online or call us at (808) 593-9336 for flea and tick control services from an experienced veterinarian.